Web browser/Desktop application/Mobile application
- We highly recommend using a web browser or desktop application when delivering or connecting to a synchronous online class.
- Close all unnecessary tabs in your browser.
- Make sure to download the latest desktop application.
- There are usually functional limitations when joining from an application on a mobile device.
- Wired/wireless: We suggest using wired Ethernet connection for signal stability and consistency. Delivery of video requires significant bandwidth.
- Close unused applications and other intensive applications running on your machine/mobile devices.
Use of Microphone and Camera
- Find a quiet location to limit background noise when you are on microphone.
- We strongly recommend using an external microphone to eliminate background noise and provide better sound quality.
- Use headphones rather than your computer speaker to avoid feedback noise.
- Mute or turn off your microphone if you are not talking so only one microphone is live at a time, limiting disruption to whomever is speaking.
- Keep your background clear when you come on camera to lessen distractions.
- Test your microphone and adjust speaker volume before going live, if audio testing available.
- Join a test meeting before your class time to test microphone and speaker if possible:
- Adobe Connect: https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/using/connection-test-connect-meeting.html
- Zoom: zoom.us/test
- Webex: https://www.webex.com/test-meeting.html
- Hangouts: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/mastered.com/test
- Bluejeans: https://bluejeans.com/111
- Utilize ‘raise hand’ feature if available when you wish to speak.
- Use ‘text chat’ for other discussions in class.
- Camera and microphone issues:
- Common fix: completely restarting your computer and rejoining the event. If you are on a mobile device application, close that application and rejoin.
- Camera or microphone not detected: make sure to select the right devices if you have multiple devices, including internal and external, connected.
- Change the sound input and output settings on Mac, PC, Apple device, Android device
- Being kicked out of the session repeatedly:
- Check your network connection: 30 Mbps and up is the recommended download speed for video conferencing. You will want at least 10 Mbps upload speed for a quality meeting. Test how well your connection here or here.
- Stop all large internet activities (streaming videos, watching Netflix, etc.)
- Close all windows and log back in.
- Reboot your internet router if needed.
- Trouble logging in to class:
- Check whether username, password and classroom link are correct.
- Clear browser cache and cookies before trying again.